6 Valuable Tips From My Mastermind Group That Led Me To My Dream Gig
This was the first line written by my employer. I was so super excited to learn that finally, I got the job!
But that was getting ahead of my story…
I’ve been applying for gigs left and right since I had a goal: To resign from my day job in 2013.
I spent the whole month of October applying for a job at Odesk, Elance, craigslist, onlinejobs. pH etc. I immediately consumed the credits given to be able to apply for a job.
I applied for many gigs… and I got rejection slips.
I was rejected because my bid was too high or the gig was awarded to another applicant or I got no response. This has been going on for 30 days, so you can just imagine the feeling. After 2 weeks of rejection, I began to entertain doubts and started to ask myself if I am on the right track.
I pushed away self doubts and implemented the following new strategies:
- Changed my positioning (from a Powerpoint expert to online team strategist),
- Improved my cover letters (I made it more human and personal),
- Improved my profile
- Became selective of the gigs that I am applying for
Rejection notices continued. Is it because of my age that I’m finding it hard to get a gig? I took a break from the application process. I was crushed!
Call it great timing that I had my one-on-one session with Jomar Hilario. I am a member of his Inner Circle Mastermind.
I was at Rosewood at 9:00 AM and I was joined by Arnel Bolda, the winner of my FB contest. (As part of the assignment, I ran a contest in Rafflecopter and the prize winner will join me on my one on one session)
From Jomar Hilario, I learned the following:
- I have to be more specific in marketing my skills, I created different resumes highlighting specific and related skills (example: website creation + content management)
- I needed to stand out and go beyond just a PowerPoint expert. I have many (and better) competitors in that area.
- I have to reflect on my strengths and skills and market these.
- I had to draw from my previous experiences.
- More importantly, he advised me to apply directly to the book authors and internet marketers whom I admire.
From my mastermind friends, they reminded me that applying for a gig is just a numbers game.
Wise words from an expert VA in our group. At that time, I have just sent 50++ applications. One hundred is just an arbitrary number but it reminded me to practice patience. In my desire to immediately land a gig and to be in control, I was putting too much pressure that I forgot to enjoy and trust the process.
It’s just like sales and real estate. Rejection is a part of the game. When one says “No”, I say “Next!” Applying this in real estate, I needed to look at 100 properties, visit 20, to be able to buy 1 property. This was an AHA moment for me. Patience, Jones, patience.
Upon reaching home, I opened my laptop, went straight to Elance and started applying for gigs again. I also sent an application letter to an internet marketer offering my services.
On the following day, I got the email: You’re hired!
I started working with my new client on a part-time basis on November 1, 2012.
My statistics: I applied for 85 gigs before I finally landed on my DREAM GIG! I can tell you, it’s worth the wait!
Have a Positively Awesome Day,